Avocado Potato Salad (Mayoless / Vegan)
Growing up, people always loved potato salad, but for me – I hated mayo – so I never got to indulge in the infamous side dish to everyone’s BBQ. My recipe is Vegan, but don’t let that fool you because it’s a thousand times better then regular potato salad. I recently made it for my meat eating family and they loved it!
You will be amazed at how simple this is, and quick, especially if you have a food processor. If not, it still takes little to no time to mix it up the old school way!
Serves 4-6 people.
What you need:
10-12 Red Potatoes
Bunch of Fresh Dill
Bunch of Cilantro
2 Tablespoons Dijon Grain Mustard
Juice from 1 Lime
What makes this potato salad is the Dill, so it is the one ingredient that I would not omit. If you don’t like cilantro, there is no need to use it but I enjoy the Earthy kick it gives this salad. Also, the same with the mustard- if you don’t like it don’t use it.
I also use the red potatoes because I like the sweet and spicy flavor, but also because I’m lazy and hate peeling potatoes. The skin on the red potatoes not only tastes good but is also good for you!
- Put a pot of water on the stove to boil, salt and cover.
- Rinse your potatoes, and cut into quarters. Cut as evenly as possible as this helps with the cooking process.
- Once the water is boiling add in your potatoes. Cook for about 10-15 minutes or until potatoes are just soft enough to put a fork through them. You don’t want them as soft as when making mashed potatoes.
- While your potatoes are cooking, roughly chop your dill and cilantro. Set half of these herbs aside.
- Cut your avocado and put in the food processor along with half of your herbs. Pulse a few times, scrape the sides and put 1 table spoon of mustard and half the lime juice and then pulse again.
- Drain your potatoes in a colander, and run cold water over them to stop the cooking process.
- Combine the avocado mixture and potatoes in a bowl or pot. Mix together thoroughly and add the rest of the dill that you set aside.
- Garnish with cilantro, and lime juice.
- Set in fridge until ready to serve. I prefer a cold potato salad, but if you don’t serve right away!